Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Two Bits Tuesday

It is a short work week this week and I'm glad of it. But I still have enough for Two Bits Tuesday!

MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche
1. I just finished this book. One of my best friends, Trista of Crafting and Cardigans, recommended it to me after I lamented that while I have several close college girlfriends that I'm touch with constantly, I don't have the local equivalent of them. All of my college girlfriends live between 2-5 hours away. Apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this - MWF Seeking BFF is about Rachel Bertsche's move to Chicago from NYC as a newlywed, with all of her friends located back in NYC. She decides to dedicate a year to finding new friendships and goes on 52 first friend dates. During her search, she joins book clubs, attends cooking class, rents a friend,  and participates in improv shows, all in an effort to meet friends. If there's anything I picked up from her story, it's that I can't just sit around and wait for people to call me. While I don't think I'll be committing to 52 first friend dates, I do realize I need to go out and meet others. Otherwise things will never change. I also realized that I don't do anything after work - my week is generally just work. Which is pretty boring. I need to fix that. Pick up some extracurricular activities such as cooking classes and volunteering. Which leads me to #2 below:

2. Start a Book Club! A friend from work and I have said for the longest time that we would start a book club. Well, after reading MWF seeking BFF I finally decided to begin on. So far it's just three of us, but hopefully other people will be able to come next month. I think it's going to help me dive into other sorts of genres that I don't usually read. We're rotating the book selection by letting each person choose a book for the month. We meet the First Tuesday of every month at 6:30pm, location to be chosen by the person who chose the book. Local friends are welcome to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment