Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Two Bits Tuesday

So in an effort to blog more frequently I'm creating a Two Bits Tuesday... I know a lot of blogs do a "Five Things Friday," but as it's only Tuesday, I'm not there yet. So here are my two bits for today!

1. Best K-Cup Ever:


Wild Mountain Blueberry - tastes like a blueberry muffin in a coffee mug! I'm all about flavored coffee, and this is definitely the best flavor I've come across. I savored every drop this morning and I'm already looking forward to my cup tomorrow.


2. Succesful Trial and Error: New Green Smoothie Recipe courtesy of Delighted Momma.



 Back in January, I did a similar version of this green smoothie for breakfast most days, with spinach, flax seed, banana, almond butter, and protein powder. I haven't had one in a while, so when I ran across the recipe for the chia seed, coconut milk, spinach, and protein powder yesterday I figured it'd be worth a try! Chia seeds seem to be popping up in a bunch of healthy recipes these days.



The Washingtonian had a great piece on Chia Seeds: "They have an extremely high concentration of omega-3 acids—even more than salmon. One serving size includes 18 percent of recommended daily calcium and four grams of protein, and they are a great source of fiber and potassium—plus they’re low in cholesterol and sodium."

We were at Trader Joe's Saturday, and they were completely out of chia seeds - said they can't keep them on the shelf! Fortunately our local GNC carries several varieties, and I was able to take advantage of a sale -"buy one get the second half off" so not a bad deal to start with. I made the shake this morning and it was really good. The chia seeds are similar to tapioca - they expand when soaked in liquid, and become gelatinous, but they're not as large as tapioca pearls. One of the recipes I plan on trying with chia seeds is a  pudding - reminds me of rice pudding.

The only thing I plan on changing for my shake is to use unsweetened coconut milk - I couldn't find it at the grocery store yesterday. I'll have to try another store in our county and see if they have carry it. Otherwise I'll just stock up next time at Trader Joe's because I know they carry unsweetened coconut milk. I know from past experience the taste between the unsweetened and sweetened almond milk is not really noticeable in the shake, given the vanilla protein powder provides enough flavor to balance out the spinach.

If you didn't click on the link, here's the recipe:

Chia Seed Coconut & Spinach Smoothie by Delighted Momma

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 1/4 cup of coconut milk
  • 2 tbs of chia seeds
  • 1 cup of spinach
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 2 ice cubes
Directions:
Add all the above ingredients into a blender or magic bullet and blend until you have a nice smoothie like consistently. Enjoy right away.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for chia seeds -- I should've thought to check GNC!

    We bought my baby sis a Keurig for her high school graduation ... I'll have to send her a box of the blueberry K-Cups. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked everywhere else and it seems GNC is the only store that had plenty in stock! I called before I went, but the guy assured me they had plenty of chia seeds. It was the first time I'd ever been in GNC, but I'm sure not my last!

      I love the Keurig - I got one about 2 years ago with my credit card reward points and it's perfect for me because I only want one cup of coffee in the morning, and my husband doesn't drink coffee. I'm sure she'll like it!

      Delete