So I'm definitely failing at updating this blog. I'll try to work on it this year! I think I'll start doing one health blog post, a book post, and whatever other random post each week. Consider this my first health blog post!
Last fall was really busy - most of my time was dedicated to finishing my final Masters class, traveling, celebrating our first anniversary, and spending time with friends and family. Now that I'm finished with my graduate degree, I'm concentrating on getting healthy. It's my sole focus for 2012. I have no distractions in my life now. We want to start a family in a year or two, and I don't want our kids to struggle like I have for the last 12 years. I feel like I've been on a rollercoaster, on and off Weight Watchers more than I can count since I was 14. WW might work for most women, but not for me. I'm not following a specific diet, I'm making healthy lifestyle changes. More veggies, more movement, more cooking at home, less fast food. It's as simple as that. No crazy diets, no gimmicks, nada. Just making better choices.
The first thing on my list was to increase my veggies. I started making a shake prior to Christmas called the "Green Monster" for breakfast. It's 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, a tablespoon of raw almond butter (thanks Trader Joes!), a tablespoon of flaxseeds, a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a whole banana. I've also recently added 1 scoop of vanilla soy protein powder to keep me full through lunch. I got the recipe and information from http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/13/classic-green-monster/ Yes, the shake is kermit-the-frog green, but you don't taste the spinach. It really tastes like a banana shake, and I feel like Popeye getting all that spinach first thing in the morning!
I've been making myself try veggies that I hated as a kid. Squash, greens with apple cider vinegar, and roasted brussel sprouts are all back on the menu now. Justin will slice squash and zucchini in long slices and grill them with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and it's delicious. It's definitely my favorite way to cook veggies! I'm still not a fan of cabbage and tea... don't think that will ever change. But still a big improvement to add the other items back.
The other thing I've started recently is Zumba. My friend/coworker teaches the class, and I went to two free demos last fall, and they were a blast. I just couldn't fit it into my schedule then, but now I'm taking it every Wednesday night. It's the best group exercise class I've ever taken. It's an hour long dance/aerobic class that feels like a party! Anyone can do it, uncoordinated (like myself) or not. The important thing is just to keep moving. You'll get the steps and moves eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment