Wednesday, September 4, 2013

October Update

Hard to believe it's already October! Finally downloaded the Blogger app, so I can post from my phone, as it is much more convenient than waiting to be home at my computer.

Making slow but steady progress in my journey to health. I'm continuing to lose, but the weight loss has slowed down. Yes it bugs me to only see a pound lost a week or so, but I am much more active now than I was 6 months ago. I'm building muscle, increasing my cardio stamina, and feeling better everyday. This is not just about that number on the scale. It is establishing a healthy lifestyle. 

In the last month I've been attending weekly yoga classes, increasing my cardio (BodyCombat anyone?) and transitioning my focus from running to overall fun activities. I achieved a solid mile run on the treadmill for the first time in my life, but my knees and lungs hate running. It hurts too much right now. I was told two years ago that I had early arthritis in both knees, thanks to my weight and hereditary disposition - thanks Dad!). My knees don't ache like they used to 70 pounds ago, but they still twinge here and there, and I want to do everything I can to avoid knee surgery. So I've been working on walking/jogging intervals. The most important thing is to get that heart rate up and doing intervals accomplishes that instead of just flat out walking.

One thing I've noticed recently is that I'm usually the biggest person in my yoga and Body Combat classes, yet I can keep up with the other people. Why is there such a stigma for overweight/obese folks to take group exercise classes? I know I originally began working out just on my own, doing the elliptical or walking, but now I find the group classes more invigorating and challenging. Yes, it is intimidating to be the biggest person in class, but it is also rewarding to see that I'm strong enough and active enough to keep up with everyone, and see progress through each class. You don't have to be a certain size to do something. I guess what I'm trying to say is go try that Zumba or Yoga class! It is so much fun, and I find that I actually burn more calories in a group class than individual exercise. I challenge myself harder, and it is worth the rewards.

So what have I done recently? I completed the Dirty Girl Mud Run last Saturday with some really great family and friends! So proud of Nicole, Yvonne, and especially my cousin Katie - who rolled her ankle about 2 miles into the 5k course! She completed the whole thing, swollen ankle and all. We had such a fantastic experience, I can't wait to do another one!
Team Hakuna Ma TaTas! L to R: Yvonne, Nicole (front), myself, and Katie

Last night I attempted climbing for the first time in my life - quite another first! Even though I did the wall three times, I kept getting frozen about 80% the way to the top and had to come down. My body could've kept going , but my mind wouldn't let me. It is just another mental barrier I have to overcome, and in time I will! This was still a major deal for me, 6 months ago I wouldn't have been able to get off the ground.

I made it up pretty high! Grateful for harnesses... Otherwise I don't see how I could've come down with my entire body shaking.
There's the husband (aka skinny husband as I call him now lol), doing awesome! He had no fear. Such a great feat for both of us.

This month we have our Monster Glow Dash. Can't wait for Oct 19, the Glo-Getters are going to have a blast!

Happy October everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're achieving MUCH bigger things that just losing pounds on the scale! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete