I've started training using the C25K app on my phone. I started at the gym on the treadmill for 2 weeks, but I'm transitioning to doing it outside. As Justin put it, the treadmill is helping you run because it's propelling you forward, running outside is harder because YOU are the only thing propelling yourself forward. Might as well get used to outside instead of the treadmill since the 5K is outside! We're lucky to live in a neighborhood with dedicated running/biking lanes along the wooded parkway.
Justin and I took our next steps to running together by getting fitted for proper running shoes at Charm City Run in Annapolis this weekend. I have a pair of Reebok Zigs that I wear in the gym, but they are not great for running - too much sliding and friction (talk about sore feet). We had a great experience at Charm City Run - they first observe your natural foot strikes, measure your feet, pull a few pairs based on the initial observation, and then video record you running/walking on the treadmill and examine how the different shoes impacted/improved your foot strike in performance! We both picked up a pair of Brooks Adrenaline. They add stability to the inside of the foot, important for those of us with low or no natural arches in our feet. I don't think I've ever been so excited for a new pair of tennis shoes. And don't worry, these will not be going to the mud run! I have an old pair gym shoes slated for that.
Justin's New Kicks!
My New Kicks!
Can't wait to take them out for a run/walk today after work! The next thing for me to focus on is breathing techniques. I have exercise induced asthma, and running is one of the only activities that actually brings it on. I've read up on the 3:2 pattern of breathing - inhaling for 3 steps, exhale for 2, and I'm going to utilize that technique. I am making an appointment to see my doctor on Friday to ask if an inhaler will help - some of the articles recommend preventatively using an inhaler before a run to open up your lungs ahead of time. I know over time, different cardio activities have improved my lungs and reduce the asthma attacks, so I just have to get past this initial phase. If you have any tips, please share them for this beginner runner! I don't care if I'm not fast, I just want to complete a run. Happy Monday everyone!






So proud of you! Running outside may be harder, but I love the change of scenery- hopefully you will too. So many people make excuses and you are just eliminating any excuse possible- GO STACEY!!!
ReplyDeleteI definitely like the scenery outside better than the treadmill/gym! And you can always choose to go a little further, or take a different direction if you want. Thanks for the support!
DeleteWoohoo! Keep up the good work! I LOATHE running and luckily for me I can use my knees as an excuse. I'll do any other kind of exercise but that so kudos to you!. Can't wait to hear how your running journey goes!
ReplyDeleteI'm just desperate to keep challenging myself so I don't get lazy/stagnant. Running has never been an easy task for me - the 16 year old within me who tried out for field hockey and failed miserably within just the first hour just wants to be able to run. Not fast, not crazy long, but run! Thanks for reading, I'll be updating more often (I promise!).
DeleteWow! I didn't know there was so much involved in finding some running shoes. I run in some old loose Sketchers Tone Ups - probably the worst thing ever! But for some reason they are the best to run in! I've tried others. I makes me think I'll never find the right shoes if these get trashed.
ReplyDeleteKristin
I have wonky knees, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing further damage to them by wearing the wrong shoes. Took the new ones out for a spin tonight - they are AWESOME! Now just to work on my lungs. I have the cardio down, I just have such difficulty with the breathing. I'm determined not to give up though!
DeleteI had a really hard time getting my breathing under control - even for only 3 min of running! I still don't run much over a mile at a stretch, but it helps me to focus on nice deep breaths through my nose and visualizing my lungs expanding. Probably sounds funny but it sure helps me!
DeleteKristin
New pair of gym shoes can be a great motivator. I am not fan of running, but I'd like to cheers you for doing this. Visiting you from #MotivationMonday.
ReplyDeletehttp://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com
Thanks for visiting!! The shoes definitely helped during my walk/jog yesterday!
DeleteFound you on #MotivationMonday, I am starting week 3 of C25K and have been loving it! I have not gotten the courage to sign up for an actual 5k yet, maybe soon! Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteI needed a new goal to aim towards to keep me motivated :-) why not a fun mud run/obstacle course? I want to be running, but I don't have to run the entire course, I just have to do my best! Thanks for visiting!
DeleteYou are doing so great! I bet you notice a big difference with your new shoes. Thanks for linking up with us!
ReplyDeleteI definitely noticed a huge difference yesterday! Thanks for visiting/letting me link up with you all!
DeleteI love your new shoes! Love that color!
ReplyDeleteYou will have so much fun with the mud run. Bring fun colored duct tape for around your feet (keeps the mud/water out better)!
Thanks for the tip! I'm so excited for the mud run, going to be a blast to get so muddy!
DeleteThat is sooo awesome that your guy is running with you! I wish my husband liked running but he detests it. Those are some pretty rad new shoes. I am in bad need of a new pair as well. I've been putting in the miles lately to an already old pair of shoes.
ReplyDeleteGood luck on the race. I hope you guys have fun.
P.S. I had exercise induced asthma as well. When I first got back into running I'd be feeling the asthma symptoms long after my workout but since losing 50lbs I noticed that I don't experience it anymore. It was an observation I just now realized when I read about your asthma. Anywho, thanks so much for linking up.
We're splitting up during the week (different work schedules and locations), but in general it's nice that we can get a good workout together either running outside or weight lifting on Saturdays at the gym. And I'm really excited to hear that your asthma symptoms went away with weight loss and continued running! I know the first phase is the worst, so I just have to keep pushing through it!
Delete